We Are Your Partner in Business, Not Just Law
At Providence Law, we take a personal approach to each case we handle and are invested in our clients and the franchises they wish to establish or expand.
Franchise clients are important to our firm. We know that franchise practices are rare in the legal field, which is why we are committed to using extensive resources and legal insight to provide the clients we serve with reliable and practical legal counsel. We believe your franchise business is important, so let our experienced legal team put our skills to work to protect your best interests.
Franchise Law Services We Offer
Providence Law exists to serve you in accomplishing your goals. We proudly offer the following legal services out of our firm in Charlotte:
- Franchise & Business Formation: As a business owner opening a new franchise, you should strongly consider forming a corporation or an LLC. Forming your franchise as a business entity generally allows for limited liability for shareholders. We can assist with incorporating your business, preparing initial bylaws, and other crucial formation steps. Our firm also drafts or reviews buy-sell agreements for the purchase and sale of franchise businesses.
- Franchise Acquisition & Consulting: We offer comprehensive legal services to help franchisees and franchisors with mergers and acquisitions. We can guide you through issues with investors or acquiring competitors so you can target new markets. Whether you want to grow your franchise or wipe out a smaller competitor, we can provide top-notch representation.
- Franchise Termination & Non-Renewal: You can potentially face claims and liabilities if your purchase agreement is terminated or not renewed. Actions for wrongful termination require careful analysis of your rights and duties, which is why you should contact Providence Law immediately to discuss further actions and possible claims and defenses.
- Franchise Transfers & Sales: Our firm also drafts or reviews buy-sell agreements for the purchase and sale of franchise businesses. However, problems can arise when you try to sell a franchise business. While permission from the franchisor is required, you might have rights if the franchisor interferes with your efforts to sell.
- Contract Review & Negotiation of Franchise Disclosure Documents: We have been reviewing and negotiating franchise agreements on behalf of franchisees for decades. Our lawyers can take a close look at all of your franchise disclosure documents to identify potential liabilities and any language that needs to be altered to protect your business interests.
- Franchise Agreements: The franchise agreement stipulates the relationship that exists between the franchisee and the franchisor. It is crucial for franchisees to fully understand their role and obligations to the franchisor. Our attorneys are here to help you understand the fine print, and if appropriate, ask and negotiate concessions. While every agreement, franchise, and situation is different, we always tailor our representation and services to the needs and goals of our clients.
- Multi-Unit Development Agreements: Multi-unit area development agreements mainly define franchisee development obligations. Multi-unit area development agreements generally focus on responsible franchise growth and development in specific regions, that benefit both franchisors and franchisees.
- Franchise Disputes: We have represented clients in courtrooms, arbitration, and mediation forums so they can resolve their franchise disputes. When negotiations break down, we are willing to proceed to litigation and will use our experience and extensive resources to fight for what our clients are entitled to.
- Franchise Disclosure Documents Compliance: Franchisors are required to comply with both federal and state regulations and must also provide potential franchisees with a Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD). The FDD contains specific information about the business offering, the contract provisions, and the background of the franchisor. While the FDD is an invaluable resource, it can also be a burden to read and difficult to understand without a background in law.
Franchise Law FAQ
What is a franchise disclosure document (FDD)?
The FDD is a document that franchisors provide to a potential franchisee that includes information about the operations of the franchise, such as expenses, initial investment, advertising, and other guidelines. This document must be provided at least 10 days before a franchise agreement is signed.
Can my business be franchised?
Nearly any type of business can be turned into a franchise. If you have a business that you wish to expand and grow to a larger scale, franchising may be an option that you can explore with our attorneys.
What are the most commonly franchised industries?
Common business franchises include restaurants, fast food restaurants, cleaning services, construction firms, real estate firms, hotels, gym fitness centers, and retail shops.
What are the different types of franchise models?
Product or distribution franchises supply products under a branded trademark. Some examples include car parts (Ford) and computers (Dell).
Business format franchises provide the entire system of operations and product/service. Examples include fast food restaurants and gyms.
Investment franchises involve a large amount of capital investment from the franchisee. Hotels and very large restaurants are examples of these.
Conversion franchise is when a franchise system converts an existing company into one of its franchise units. Franchises often do this as a way to grow their presence and absorb the merging company's existing clientele.
Our Unique Experience Representing Franchise Clients
Our franchise law attorneys have extensive experience working with a variety of businesses, through all stages. Our legal experience ranges from startups to large corporations, and negotiating contracts to complex franchise litigation. We leverage our professional insights as well as our background as entrepreneurs to provide trusted counsel and guidance for your business. Our goal is to help you succeed and deliver an unparalleled client experience every time.